Verde Valley School educates students for college and for life by encouraging them to become intellectually curious, academically accomplished and creatively expressive. The program fosters intercultural understanding and world citizenship, environmental stewardship, the value of physical labor, and service to humanity with a willing spirit. It is an intentionally international school with 50% of students from 20 countries, 50% from 18 US states including a number of local day students from the Sedona area.
Here at Verde Valley School, set amidst the inimitable red rocks of Sedona, we call our type of education “IB + Dirt”. This unique curriculum is delivered by a talented and energetic faculty 100% invested in delivering a holistic education that prepares their students for a life beyond college as positive change agents of the world.
At the heart of VVS is an experienced, motivated and caring faculty. Possessing a variety of life experiences, strengths, and cultures, the VVS faculty are passionate about their subjects and dedicated to providing a project-based, student-centered program. We are always interested in receiving employment inquiries from talented educators who share our mission.
Director of Health Services / Nurse Job Description
This is a 12-month (July 1 – June 30) position reporting directly to the Assistant Head/Dean of Students.
When students are on campus, office hours are from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday-Friday. As with any
salaried position, operational demands may necessitate variations in starting and ending times, as well
as variations in the total hours that may be scheduled each day and week. Additional weekends may be
required for orientation and mandatory school events. This position may also include residential life and
weekend duties. Work will need to be completed during the summer break to review incoming health
records and prepare for student arrival.
Verde Valley School is seeking a Director of Health Services who can implement a comprehensive
program of health services within the context of a boarding and day independent school environment.
● Oversee all operations and provide oversight for all areas of school health center
● Provides care, coordination, and follow up, for student illness, first aid care, regular health
checks, and medically prescribed services.
● Identifies mental health needs and coordinates appropriate care for all students.
● Communicates with appropriate staff members as needed on the health needs of students
while respecting the privacy of students’ health.
● Communicates with the weekend and weeknight duty teams and AOD regarding after hour and
weekend health needs, and provides emergency contact information when applicable.
● Works with faculty, staff, parents, and community to implement health policies and procedures
consistent with best practices.
● Serves as a member of the health team.
● Manages attendance related to student health.
● Manages administration and documentation of all student medications and supplements.
● Completes and submits reports/screenings to Yavapai County & Arizona Department of Health
● Maintains student immunizations and TB skin test records and ensures all students are
compliant with state law requirements.
● Completes all reports including vision and hearing screenings to Yavapai County and Arizona
Department of Health Services.
● Maintains student appointment schedules for off campus appointments (urgent or scheduled),
makes necessary staff/parent communication and arranges transportation for the students.
● Is on-call after hours and weekends for diagnosis and recommendations and, in the event of
student emergencies, will return to school to assist (unless on sick leave or scheduled and
● Corresponds with external health professionals and coordinates immediate and ongoing
evaluations and care.
● Provides orientation and staff development on health-related topics at the start and throughout
the school year, including coordinating a Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder
Refresher and teaching CPR and First Aid to staff members in need of certifications.
● Assembles, distributes, and monitors first aid kits for dorms, main office, field trips, and sports.
● Manages AED machine and EpiPen compliance.
● Coordinates health and wellness education and curriculum for students, including teaching
and/or assisting during student life education blocks.
● Manages health packet information by updating as needed and organizing pertinent
information to share with faculty and/or staff.
● Maintains student health records, including obtaining, reviewing, and communicating
deficiencies to parents and Admissions prior to student arrival to campus.
● Creates and manages emergency information binders with consent to treat, health insurance,
and credit card on file for each student.
● Coordinates a flu shot clinic for students and families on campus.
● Submits insurance claims in a timely manner to ensure proper financial coverage.
● Investigates any unpaid or disputable student medical bills with providers and student
● Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Assistant Head/Dean of Students.
● Previous experience working with high school-age children
● Current RN CPR and First Aid Certification
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Technical proficiency in GoogleDocs, Sheets, etc.
Please send the following information to HR@vvsaz.org
● A letter of application describing why you are a good fit for the position
● A current resume
● Three professional references including names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email
Salary commensurate with experience. Potential for on-campus housing as part of the compensation
package, if available.
Full-Time High School Science Position
IB Environmental Systems & Societies Years 1 & 2
High School Science Teacher
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided
Location: Sedona, AZ USA
Employer: Verde Valley School
Type: IB Boarding School
Preferred Education Level: B.A. and/or Masters degree in the sciences
Verde Valley School is a small (120 students), independent boarding and day school serving
grades 9 – 12. We are in International Baccalaureate World School founded in 1948, and our
guiding principles include academic excellence, intercultural understanding, environmental
stewardship, physical labor and service to others. Please visit our web site for more information
Verde Valley School seeks a skilled and enthusiastic high school science teacher to teach 4
sections of 11th and 12th grade IB Environmental Systems & Societies in a rigorous academic
setting. The ideal candidate has experience and qualifications to teach additional science
classes (biology, chemistry, physics, and/or math) should the need arise. Teachers at Verde
Valley School employ experiential, student-centered methods to engage a wide variety of
students in the study of science. All courses are taught with an inquiry-based approach with the
teacher guiding students to question, explore, collect and analyze data using the scientific
method. The course is a two-year course that culminates with the completion of IB
assessments in the senior year.
The ideal candidate is someone who truly loves working with adolescents and is ready to fully
immerse in all facets of boarding school life on our rustic desert campus. In addition to
classroom teaching, each faculty member supervises students one evening per week, one
weekend per month, and twice each week for campus work jobs. Each faculty member leads
one extracurricular activity or sport twice each week and is responsible for advising 4-5
students. Most faculty members lead a 2-week wilderness & service trip throughout the
Southwest each November. Meals in our dining hall are provided. On-campus housing may be
Preference is given to candidates who have:
· IB or pre-IB program experience
· Experience teaching high school science using an inquiry-based approach
· Experience working in a residential setting
· Experience and enthusiasm for living and teaching in diverse communities
· Experience teaching non-native English speakers
· Experience coaching and/or leading outdoor activities
This position begins in August 2020.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email with the subject heading: “Science Position
Application” to HR@vvsaz.org. No phone calls or faxes please.