A core requirement for the IB Diploma, the extended essay of some 4,000 words offers the opportunity for IB students to investigate a topic of special interest, usually one of the student’s six Diploma Programme subjects, and acquaints them with the independent research and writing skills expected at university. It is intended to promote high-level research and writing skills, intellectual discovery and creativity. Writing the Extended Essay provides students with an opportunity to engage in personal research on a topic of choice, under the guidance of a VVS supervisor. When all the work is complete, the whole school celebrates the achievements of the seniors with a special lunch where all extended essay titles are read as students turn them in.
Past Extended Essay titles at VVS include:
- An investigation into the physical modes through which Keith Johnstone’s concept of status is portrayed
- What were the causes of the 2001-2002 Malawi famine?
- An investigation into themes of greed, consequence of sin and corruption of purity within the novella 1922
- Toxicity of clothing detergents on filamentous algae and the extent to which it models inorganic pollution
- What major factors influenced the change in women’s clothing in the early twentieth century, specifically between the years 1910-1929
- ¿Cómo han los países hispanohablantes en Centroamérica influenciado la cultura de los Garífunas?
- The theme of manipulation in Card’s Ender’s Game and Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four
- From Devil to Devil: In what ways did Robert Johnson influence the music of Jimmy Page?
- What is the role of the narrator in the genre of memoir shown in The Things They Carried, by Tim O’Brien and The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion?
- To what extent does the consideration of Bo Bartlett’s biography enrich the understanding the meaning of his paintings?
- To what extent does Manuel Mendive’s artwork communication the aspects of the Santeria religion through the motif of water?
- The Concept of God in Hinduism and Christianity
- How did the assassinations of Biggie Smalls and 2pac Shakur impact the West Coast/East Coast rivalry?
- A comparison of Catalan’s and Byrd’s Fibonacci Polynomials